The best comfort food around campus to warm you up amid frigid temperatures

A gooey grilled cheese from GCDC is the perfect toasty meal to warm up a chilly day.

Although most students have gotten acclimated to living on campus in the cold, a warm meal is the coziest way to engage in some self-care.

Intentionally choosing foods that bring you comfort and seeking out environments that eliminate stress is key to making it through the winter. Here are some of the best comfort food options near campus to help keep your semester as peaceful as possible:

Chicken and Waffles, Founding Farmers

Though Founding Farmers is often accused of being overrated for attracting hordes of tourists, its proximity to campus makes it one of the highest-quality restaurants students can access easily. Their menu, which shifts year-round to highlight local produce and seasonal offerings, includes a variety of breads, pastas and classic dishes like Yankee Pot Roast and Chicken Pot Pie — all foods reminiscent of home-cooked meals that scream comfort.

The eatery’s most notable dish is chicken and waffles, an offering on their breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. The breakfast plate comes with scrambled eggs and white gravy. For lunch and dinner, diners receive that same crispy fried chicken and waffle pieces, now accompanied by green beans and mac and cheese.

Decadent syrup and butter coat every bite, making this the consummate choice for anyone craving fried chicken with some variety. Plus, the comforting crunch of Founding Farmers’ fried chicken is sure to give Southerners a taste of home. 

1924 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. Open 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday; 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday; and 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday.

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, GCDC

Oozing melted cheese is central to comfort food — and a simple homemade grilled cheese can drum up some of the most nostalgic and cozy childhood memories.

On campus, there’s no need to stop at homemade: GCDC serves grilled cheese sandwiches and patty melts. Their menu includes a variety of styles, including Cuban Style, served with pulled pork, pickles and mustard, and Pizza Melt Style, which includes mozzarella, parmesan cheese, tomato sauce and basil. Or diners can keep it classic with a Young American-style sandwich, which is just grilled cheese, bacon and diced tomatoes.

The restaurant, a GWorld vendor, features a combo option with half a sandwich and one side. After all, the best comfort foods offer a balance to their cheesy, greasy goodness. While options range from pickles to mac and cheese, the most reliable option to pair with your grilled cheese is a decadent cup of tomato soup. Dipping grilled cheese in tomato soup can amplify the flavors in the sandwich, and GCDC’s grilled cheeses are no exception.

1730 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. Open 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday; 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday; and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.

Doughnuts, Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken 

If satisfying your sweet tooth relaxes you, look no further than Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken, a popular DMV franchise offering, as its name would suggest, fried chicken and doughnuts.

While the menu offers the savory option of chicken sandwiches and wings, its sweet doughnuts are what make the trip to Metro Center, the closest location to campus, worth it. The shop’s vanilla glazed, maple bacon, PB&J and créme brûlée doughnuts might be bolder flavors than your classic donuts but still offer chewy goodness to remind patrons of childhood.

1308 G St. NW. Open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.

Everything Bagel, Pearl’s Bagels

Many GW students hail from New York or New Jersey, where coming across a great bagel is easier than finding a Hilltern. While there are many respectable options on campus for a breakfast sandwich, a quick trip on the Metro to Mount Vernon Square will take you to Pearl’s Bagels, home of the best everything bagel in the city. The chewy inside of this bagel is protected by a crispy exterior with so much coating you barely see the bread underneath.

The atmosphere at Pearl’s is warm and welcoming, having been named and themed after the owners’ beloved French bulldog. Seeing the light pink sandwich wrappers and the bowl of bagel-shaped dog treats will make your visit to Pearl’s instantly heartwarming, and there’s plenty to fill your stomach, too. From the Classic Lox to The Tom, a bagel sandwich made of typical Thanksgiving leftovers, there’s no way to go wrong.

1017 7th St. NW. Open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.

Shakshuka, Tatte Bakery & Cafe

Tatte is a student staple because of its proximity to campus and a wide variety of choices, ranging from a shot of bitter espresso to a cinnamon sugar morning bun, but the hidden gem of the menu is their shakshuka. The traditional North African dish consists of poached eggs in a tomato and red pepper sauce spiced with parsley, cumin, onions and other garnishes. 

Tatte has three shakshuka options. One is a traditional version, served with homemade challah bread. There is also an option with lamb meatballs and spicy labneh, a type of strained Greek yogurt, and an option with potato sauce, baby spinach and mushrooms mixed in, alongside sourdough bread. No matter what time of day you stop by Tatte, any of its shakshuka will prove a satisfying meal to keep you warm.

2129 I St. NW. Open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.