Officials announce new SMHS regional medical campus dean

Katelyn Powers | Photographer
The School of Medicine and Health Sciences building.

Scott D. Krugman, a clinical professor of pediatrics at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, will serve as the new senior associate dean for the SMHS Regional Medical Campus at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, according to a University release published Monday.

GW announced the regional campus in November 2022 when GW partnered with LifeBridge Health, the Maryland-based company that manages Sinai Hospital, to allow 30 SMHS students to study at the hospital in spring 2023. Krugman will provide oversight on “all educational and administrative activities” at the campus alongside Senior Associate Dean for M.D. Programs Richard J. Simons, according to the release.

“Dr. Krugman’s experience in strategic planning, curriculum management and faculty development, as well as his broad clinical background as both a pediatrician and epidemiologist serving the Baltimore-Washington region, make him the ideal person to help fulfill the medical education mission of the regional medical campus,” SMHS Dean Barbara Lee Bass said in the release.

Beginning last semester, newly admitted SMHS students were accepted as either a “main campus student” or a “regional campus student,” according to the SMHS website. Regional campus students completed the pre-clinical phase of medical school on the Foggy Bottom Campus and then relocated to Baltimore for the clinical phase of training at Sinai Hospital.

Krugman will serve as the “primary administrative link” between SMHS and LifeBridge Health while overseeing operations at the RMC and establishing a high-quality clinical phase for SMHS students, the release states. Krugman will also continue his work as a physician at LifeBridge Health’s Sinai Hospital.

Before joining Sinai Hospital in 2018, Krugman held positions including the chair of the pediatrics department at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, clinical faculty member in the pediatrics and epidemiology departments at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and associate dean for medical education at Georgetown University School of Medicine, according to the release. He is “extensively” published on numerous pediatric health topics, a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Pediatric Society and in 2022, earned the Maryland Chapter American Academy of Pediatrics Michael Burke, M.D., Mentorship Award, the release states.

“Dr. Krugman’s appointment will help guarantee that those GW students seeking clinical training in an environment that is different, but complementary to the clinical experience at Foggy Bottom, can do so at the same high standard GW students have received for the past two hundred years,” Simons said in the release.