GW secures second place at Lindsey Ferris Invitational

Gymnastics finished second out of five in a home meet Saturday.
File Photo by Hailey Reyna | Photographer
A Revs gymnast swings over the bar during the second meet of the year.

Gymnastics had its second meet of the year, finishing second out of five in the Lindsey Ferris Invitational in the Charles E. Smith Center this past Saturday.

The Revolutionaries finished with a total score of 195.025, right behind the University of Pennsylvania, who took home the win with a score of 195.375. Previously, gymnastics traveled down to Gainesville, Florida, to compete against the University of Florida for their first meet of 2024, finishing in second place with a total score of 194.550. 

The Revs did not participate in the first rotation after receiving a bye. At the start of the second rotation, junior Sarah Zois secured first for vault with a score of 9.850. Zois’s career high on vault is 9.900, which she earned at the 2023 EAGL Championship. Additionally, sophomore Kasey Burke and junior Rachel Katz both totaled 9.725. Katz had earned a career high of 9.900 resulting in her first vault title at a competition in February of 2023. 

On rotation three of bar, freshman Sophia Tyeryar, a 2023 Region 7 second-place finisher on the beam, set a personal best for bar, scoring 9.725. Senior Anneliese Silverman scored 9.700 while freshman Delany DeHann and freshman Maya Peter both contributed scores of 9.550. Katz ended the bar rotation with a score of 9.375 while junior Marlee York earned a 9.650. 

Senior Kendall Whitman, along with Zois and Peters, totaled 9.925 in rotation four of beam. Junior Marlee York scored a 9.775 before the rotation was completed by sophomore Deana Sheremeta, totaling a 9.100. At the end of rotation four, the Revs sat comfortably with a score of 49.025, tied with Cornell for first place.

In the final and fifth rotation on floor, Whitman gave the Revs a strong start with a score of 9.925. Senior Payton Lynch and York gave 9.825’s to the Revs. The final rotation was finished off by both Burke, who brought home a career high, and Sheremeta, who scored 9.800’s, respectively. 

The Revs ultimately were unable to earn first place, but overall had strong performances in all rotations. 

The Buff and Blue will have a week break before traveling to Battle Creek, Michigan, to face off against Illinois State and Western Michigan on Saturday, Jan. 20 at 7 p.m.