Women’s basketball suffers fifth loss of season at Towson despite Robertson’s career day

Sophomore guard Nya Robertson scored half of the team’s 60 points
Nya Robertson in November 2022.
Nya Robertson in November 2022.
Maya Nair | Photographer

Women’s basketball endured their fifth loss of the season, 60-68 to Towson on Wednesday, with sophomore guard Nya Robertson scoring half of the Revolutionaries’ 60 points, a new career-high.

After winning in dominant fashion at home against Cheyney on Nov. 30, the Revs held the Tigers to 37.1 percent from the field, but the Revs’ 19 turnovers proved too much to overcome for the Rev’s offense.

Robertson went 12 for 23 from the field for 30 points along with nine rebounds, a career-high. Graduate student guard Nya Lok contributed 15 points on 6 for 14 shooting, scoring 13 in the second half.

The Revs only held the lead once, within the first five minutes of the game, as three consecutive Robertson buckets gave GW a 7-6 lead.

Following a 10-2 Towson run, senior guard Taylor Webster scored a layup off a Tigers’ turnover to bring the score to 11-16 with 1:51 remaining in the quarter. Graduate student forward Maren Durant scored a layup with 14 seconds remaining in the first quarter, ending the first quarter to 13-18.

In the third minute of the second quarter, Robertson made two 3-pointers in two consecutive possessions, bringing the score to 21-26. Lok made her first basket in the fifth minute, securing a score of 23-29. But then, the Revs suffered a 5:23 scoring drought, with the Tigers going on an 11-0 run to end the half. The Revs missed seven shots and committed four turnovers as the second quarter ended at 23-40.

The third quarter began with the Tigers stretching their lead to 19 points with a layup from junior guard Patricia Anumgba. Robertson responded with a layup of her own to end the Revs’ scoring drought. Durant then made an and-one to bring the score to 34-48. The Revs outscored the Tigers in the third quarter 24-13 to cut the deficit to just six points, 53-47. 

Thirty seconds into the final quarter, Durant made a layup, assisted by senior guard Asjah Inniss, to bring the score to 49-54. The Revs’ defense held up in the quarter, with the Tiger shooting only 5 for 17 during the period, but the Revs were unable to turn their strong defense into offense, scoring only 13 points on 6 for 14 shooting. Robertson ended the game with a layup with 16 seconds remaining to wrap the game at 60-68. 

The Revolutionaries will play their next four games at the Smith Center, where they remain undefeated. They will face off against Coppin State on Dec. 9 at 2 p.m.