District House wins SA sustainability composting competition

District House donated roughly 47 percent of compost scraps, followed by Shenkman Hall, which donated approximately 16 percent.
District+Houses+H+Street+entrance.+
Raphael Kellner | Staff Photographer
District House’s H Street entrance.

Residents in District House donated the most compost throughout the month of October for the Student Association Senate’s composting competition.

SA Sen. Dan Saleem (CCAS-U), the chair of the SA’s Sustainability Committee who led the composting initiative, said District House residents donated roughly 47 percent of the compost, followed by Shenkman Hall, who donated approximately 16 percent. Saleem said the composting competition boosted student participation because 292 people composted in October, compared to 215 people composting in September.

He said the compost competition also increased the amount of scraps composted because students donated about 814 pounds of compost throughout the month of September, compared to 1015.76 pounds donated in October.

The Office of Sustainability recorded that community members had donated 295 pounds of compost in August, compared to July, when the office collected 637 pounds. In June, community members donated 440 pounds and in May, the office collected 254.97 pounds.

Saleem said District House will win a pizza party and a giveaway of 25 reusable utensils that will be handed out in the lobby of the building. He said the Sustainability Committee plans to host more composting competitions in the spring and will include Mount Vernon Campus residents in the initiative because zero Vern residents composted their scraps during the October competition.

“For our next one, I definitely want to be more inclusive and potentially making a station of its own on the Vern and have people contribute there and then we add up the compost at the end of the week together,” Saleem said.

Saleem also said the Sustainability Committee will also work to include off-campus students and commuter students in future competitions.