Police apprehend murder suspect who escaped GW Hospital

Courtesy of Taytum Wymer
An officer keeps watch over a stilled 24th street as authorities rush to locate the runaway suspect Wednesday.

Police on Thursday apprehended a murder suspect who escaped GW Hospital in September in Maryland, according to authorities.

The U.S. Marshals Service Capital Area Regional Task Force, in conjunction with the Metropolitan Police Department, found Christopher Patrick Haynes — a 30-year-old murder suspect who escaped MPD custody in GW Hospital last month — in Oxon Hill, Maryland, according to a release from MPD. His escape led to a four-hour shelter-in-place order and a massive police response in Foggy Bottom.

The release states police arrested Haynes and transported him to MPD’s homicide branch, where he will be charged with the escape and with the murder of Brent Hayward, a 33-year-old man from Gainesville, Virginia, who was shot in Northeast D.C. on Aug. 12.

“Finding Christopher Haynes remained a top priority for the Metropolitan Police Department,” the release states. “MPD worked closely with our local and federal partners to ensure Haynes was brought to justice.”

The U.S. Marshals Service did not immediately return requests for additional comment, while an MPD spokesperson deferred to the release.

Haynes physically assaulted an officer and escaped custody from the hospital Sept. 6, according to police.

Acting MPD Chief Pamela Smith said at a press conference in the Elliott School of International Affairs on Sept. 7 that MPD officers were processing Haynes at the department’s homicide branch when he complained about a preexisting ankle injury, leading officers to transport the suspect to GW Hospital.

Smith said one officer accompanied Haynes from the homicide branch to GW Hospital, and one officer met the pair at the hospital, which aligns with MPD policy. She added that MPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau, which investigates officer misconduct within the department, was investigating yesterday’s proceedings — including whether Haynes was properly handcuffed — to ensure they followed MPD policy.

Police offered a $30,000 reward for information leading to Haynes’ arrest — an increase from the original $25,000 reward. The shelter-in-place order raised questions about GW’s emergency procedures after professors said they received unclear instructions from officials and had to act on their instincts.