Police continue search for wanted GW Hospital escapee, hike reward to $30,000 for information

The manhunt continues for 30-year-old Christopher Haynes.
A D.C. Metropolitan Police Department vehicle.

The Metropolitan Police Department is still searching for the homicide suspect who escaped GW Hospital last week.

MPD spokesperson Kristina Saunders said Tuesday that police do not have any updates on the search for Christopher Haynes, a 30-year-old man who escaped from GW Hospital on Sept. 6 after being charged with the murder of Brent Hayward — a 33-year-old man shot and killed in Northeast D.C. in August. Police increased the reward for information that could lead to Haynes’ arrest from $25,000 to $30,000, according to a Tuesday MPD release.

“Finding Christopher Haynes is a top priority for the Metropolitan Police Department,” the release states. “The search remains active and ongoing and MPD is working closely with our local and federal partners to ensure that Haynes is brought to justice.”

Haynes fled the hospital around 3:38 p.m. on Sept. 6, sparking a multi-agency response headquartered in Foggy Bottom on Wednesday. MPD Chief Pamela Smith said on Thursday that Haynes assaulted the police officer who was changing his handcuffs and that officers called for assistance after his escape.

University officials issued a shelter-in-place order via GW Alert at 4:02 p.m. and canceled evening classes in an alert at 5:54 p.m. Wednesday. Authorities searched for Haynes in Foggy Bottom for more than four hours before the University lifted the shelter-in-place order at 8:15 p.m. as law enforcement redirected their search elsewhere in the District.