Three-star recruit, combo guard commits to men’s basketball

Ty Bevins will join GW following his graduation from Gwynn Park high school.
Auden Yurman
Incoming freshman Ty Bevins launched his commitment as a point guard for the Revolutionaries Friday on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Three-star class of 2024 combo guard announced he committed to play for the Revolutionaries Friday. 

Ty Bevins, a native of Brandywine, Maryland, said in a Tweet that he is committing to GW with plans to play next year, adding his versatility as a 6’ 5” shooting guard to the men’s basketball team following his graduation from Gwynn Park high school. Bevins was ranked by 247sports as the 40th-best shooting guard in his class and the fourth-best player from Maryland. 

In addition to his stature, Bevins’ feel for the game and his impressive basketball IQ have impressed scouts and analysts alike.  

At the DMV Elite 80 event of 2022, in which 80 of the area’s top basketball prospects were invited to compete, Bevins turned heads with his court vision and shooting ability, knocking down both pull-up and catch-and-shoot jumpers. 

In the 2022-23 season for Gwynn Park, Bevins averaged 12.6 points to go along with 3.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game.

Playing this summer in the Capitol Hoops Summer League, Bevins led the Brandywine Boyz to an 8-2 record with his 18 points, six rebounds, and three assists per game. His performance earned him a spot on the first team all summer league as well as third place in MVP voting. 

Bevins received interest from many Division I schools, including programs like Butler University and the University of Pittsburgh. He chose GW out of a top five that also included George Mason, Iona, Temple and American universities.

Bevins is the second highly ranked DMV product to commit to GW in recent years, as Hyattsville, Maryland native and combo guard Jacoi Hutchinson committed in November of last year. Being able to attract local talent appears to be a key fixture for Head Coach Chris Caputo as he continues to build his program in his second year. 

This announcement marks the Revolutionaries’ first commit in the class of 2024, a key get for the Revolutionaries.