A-10 releases men’s basketball conference schedule

Following 13 nonconference games, men’s basketball will have a two-month turn against their A-10 rivals.
Graduate+guard+James+Bishop+IV+hits+a+jumpshot+in+a+game+against+the+Richmond+Spiders.+
Maya Nair | Staff Photographer
Graduate guard James Bishop IV hits a jumpshot in a game against the Richmond Spiders.

Atlantic-10 Conference officials released their intraconference schedule Wednesday for the upcoming men’s basketball season.

Following their 13 games of nonconference play, the Revolutionaries will have a two-month turn against their A-10 foes, including three nationally televised games. The women’s schedule has not yet been released. 

On Jan. 3, the first A-10 game, GW will face off against Fordham at the Smith Center. Last season, the Revolutionaries fell 70-85, with the Rams tying second in the A-10 with a 12-6 conference record. 

The Revs will travel to Richmond to play the 2023 A-10 champion VCU in a televised game on USA Network. This game provides another opportunity for revenge, as VCU defeated GW last year, 74-68. Similar to GW, the Rams will have a vastly different on-court roster, with star guard and reigning A-10 Player of the Year Ace Baldwin, Jr. leaving the team to join Head Coach Mike Rhoades at Penn State.

Following a Jan. 13 game against Davidson, GW will host rival George Mason Jan. 15, airing on CBS Sports. The Revolutionary Rivalry was split last season, with GW winning the first game 78-75 and dropping the second 53-66. George Mason also experienced significant offseason shakeups, with Head Coach Kim English leaving for Providence College and first-team All A-10 forward Josh Oduro among the players joining him. 

Subsequent games against UMass, Richmond and La Salle are on the docket before the team travels to Dayton for a Jan. 30 matchup. The Revolutionaries won a 76-69 matchup against the Flyers last season, a team that reached as high as 21 on the AP ranking early in the season.

Rhode Island and Loyola Chicago will travel for games at GW before the Revs make the trek across the Potomac to face off once against George Mason Feb. 13. A quick trip on the Orange Line allows GW students to make an appearance in rival territory. 

On Feb. 17, the Revolutionaries will welcome Richmond for an in-season rematch, this time televised on USA Network. Last season’s Richmond at GW matchup was a nail-biting, double-overtime affair in which GW was able to eke out a 107-105 win.​​

The team then travels to play St. Joseph’s Feb. 21, the team that knocked out GW from the A-10 tournament in March of last year. Maryland native Guard Erik Reynolds II scored 34 points in the postseason matchup and should provide an exciting matchup against GW’s star guard of their own, graduate student James Bishop IV.

After traveling west for a game against St. Louis, the team will return to the Smith Center to play its penultimate home game against UMass  Feb. 27. Following this, the team travels to Philadelphia to play La Salle March 2. Last season’s matchup against La Salle was an impressive showing of in-season improvements and adjustments, as GW outscored the Explorers 92-85 in late February after losing their earlier matchup 64-75.  

The final home game will take place on March 6 against St. Bonaventure, their first matchup in the late season. Players in their final season, like Bishop, will have their last opportunity to show out for the GW crowd in a game that could likely be very consequential for A-10 tournament seeding. 

Duquesne marks the Revolutionaries’ final regular-season game, with a matchup scheduled for March 9. The Dukes handed GW their largest intraconference losing margin last season, a 67-93 score in an early February contest.

In Caputo’s second year with the team, the field appears to be wide open for the A-10 Championship, which will be held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.