Michelle Demko named women’s soccer head coach

Michelle Demko was named the head coach of women’s soccer, interim athletic director Tanya Vogel announced in a release Friday.

She arrives at GW after spending the past eight years as the women’s soccer head coach at UNC Asheville, where she accumulated 51 wins, 96 losses and six ties.

“This institution has a rich tradition of excellence in competition, classroom and community,” Demko said. “I am excited to step into my role and lead this program to help further that tradition.”

Demko will fill the position left vacant by former head coach Sarah Barnes, who resigned in February for the same role at Miami. During Barnes’ six years, the Colonials held a 60-41-14 record. They went 10-5-4 last season and lost in the first round of the Atlantic 10 tournament.

Prior to Demko’s time at UNC Asheville, she held assistant coaching roles at Nebraska from 2007-10 and North Carolina State from 2003-06. She was also a coach on the Under-23 Women’s National Team in 2013 and the Under-20 Women’s National Team in 2011 and 2012.

“Michelle’s passion, commitment and determination became extraordinarily clear during the search,” Vogel said. “Our student-athletes will flourish in the day-to-day challenge to become their best in a high energy and fun environment.”

Before moving to the sidelines, Demko enjoyed a successful career as a player at Maryland, where she was a captain for two seasons, and Barry, where she helped the team to a Division II national championship in 1992.

She played five years of professional soccer, spending three seasons in Germany – competing for SC Klinge Seckah, FSV Frankfurt and Bayern Munich. She then played two years as a member of the Philadelphia Charge, a team in the now-defunct Women’s United Soccer Association.