University announces plans for sixth inaugural ball

Thousands packed the Omni Shoreham Hotel for GW's 2013 inaugural ball. Cameron Lancaster | Hatchet Photographer
Thousands packed the Omni Shoreham Hotel for GW’s 2013 inaugural ball. The University announced that the 2017 ball will be held in the same location. Hatchet file photo.

The University’s sixth inaugural ball will be held at the Omni Shoreham Hotel Jan. 20, according to a
release Thursday.

More than 4,000 students are expected to attend the event, which has been held since 1993 as part of the festivities surrounding the U.S. president’s inauguration, according to the release.

“This longstanding tradition celebrates the University’s politically active campus in the heart of Washington, D.C., four blocks from the White House,” according to the release.

Tickets for the ball cost $135 and will be available for purchase Nov. 8. – election day – both online and at the Lisner Auditorium box office.

An anonymous family donated a limited number of tickets at a discounted rate for students. Students can request the tickets via an online form. Priority for these tickets will be given to students with financial need and who were not enrolled at the University for the 2013 inaugural ball, according to the Google form.

GW Today will also give away two pairs of tickets through its social media accounts, according to the release.

Students are encouraged to wear formal attire to the event and will have the opportunity to select free formal attire from Martha and George’s Pop-Up Shop, which will be open in the Marvin Center Dec. 8 and 9. Members of the University community can donate formal clothing and accessories in good condition to suite 204 in the Marvin Center or the Mount Vernon Campus’ Webb Building. Community partners will also offer discounts on purchased and rented attire for ball attendees.