GSPM alumni discuss what it takes to work on Capitol Hill

From left to right: Jamie Gahun, Alex Harman, Hannah Kim GSPM Interim Director Lara Brown and Bill Zito discuss how they made it in careers on Capitol Hill. Meredith Roaten | Hatchet Photographer

Updated: Oct. 13, 2016 at 10:55 p.m.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Colleen Grablick.

Interns and potential graduate students sat among congressional staffers Thursday, while they listened to a panel of graduate school alumni discuss their career paths to Capitol Hill.

The Graduate School of Political Management hosted a “Lunch and Learn” panel, where four panelists – former GW students and now chiefs of staff – took questions and gave advice on “making it” in Capitol Hill.

Lara Brown, the interim director of GSPM, mediated the panel. Brown, having served in the Department of Education during President Bill Clinton’s administration, also shared some experiences with those in the audience looking to make their way onto the Hill.

Here are some key points of the discussion:

1. How to get hired

The chiefs of staff were asked what characteristics or traits are most conducive to landing a job on the Hill. Bill Zito, the chief of staff for Rep. Pete Olson, R-Texas, said integrity and work ethic stand out among most of the interviewees he comes in contact with.

“Do the research, do the the homework, go the extra mile. Be committed, be dedicated,” Zito said. “That’s what I kind of look for.”

Hannah Kim, chief of staff for Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., said she looks for resourcefulness and a willingness to work in the office.

“Anything and everything that we do in congressional office can be taught, so what we need are people with great attitudes,” Kim said. “I think all of us are here because we need people who are loyal and dedicated.”

2. Utilizing GSPM

When asked how GSPM played a role in each of their careers, the panelists all agreed that networking is one of the biggest take-aways of the program.

Jamie Gahun, chief of staff for Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas, began the program late in her career, after she had already assumed her position as chief of staff. She still said that the relationships and lessons learned in her classes were important to her career.

“One of the key things was just networking,” Gahun said. “Having those relationships built in school has had a profound impact.”

Kim said she benefitted greatly from the opportunity to take classes that she may not have otherwise even looked into had it not been for the GSPM.

“While communications was not my undergrad major, it helped hone some of the skill sets that helped me get to the position that I am in,” Kim said. “With legislative affairs, I have been actually able to write and pass bills. If it weren’t for GSPM I can’t confidently say that I would have the knowledge to do that.”

3.Patient and realistic

The panelists left the audience with one final piece of advice for those wanting to make it on Capitol Hill.

The panelists agreed that being patient and realistic are two key factors in the job hunt, but that applicants should also remain determined and deliberate.

“Patience is important,” Zito said. ”But you also have to be very determined. You have to think through it and have a strategy.”