West Hall suffers power outage

West Hall will remain powerless until D.C.'s power company replaces the nearby transformer during the night. Hatchet File Photo
West Hall will remain powerless until D.C.’s power company replaces the nearby transformer overnight. Hatchet File Photo

West Hall, which has been experiencing a power outage since Tuesday morning, will have power restored overnight, according to a GW alert.

Facilities services sent an email to residents Tuesday morning that students could not use elevators, air conditioning or lighting because of the power outage. The power remains out and Pepco will replace the building’s transformer overnight, according to an email sent to all students around 5:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Electricity for the building will be run by emergency generators until power is restored, according to the alert. Staff members will be stationed at West Hall’s front desk until 10 p.m. to answer students’ questions.

Students could pick up flashlights at the building’s front desk until 6 p.m., according to the email.

Facilities officials also asked residents to conserve hot water in the building because hot water is limited without electricity.

GW will provide boxed dinners and grab-and-go food in Ames Hall until 10 p.m. as Pelham Commons in West Hall is closed due to the outage, according to the email. Ames Hall and Eckles Library will be open until 3 a.m. and will be equipped with surge protectors and power cords for students to charge electronics.

The Vern Express will run every five minutes until midnight Tuesday for students to easily get back and forth between the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses, if West Hall residents choose to stay with friends on the other campus.

“If you are not comfortable staying in West Hall, we encourage you to find a friend who you can stay with for the night,” according to the email.

GW will release an update Wednesday morning if the power in the building is not restored, according to the email.