Law school professor named top faculty administrator

A professor in GW Law School will become the vice provost for faculty affairs, according to a University release Thursday.

Christopher Bracey, who joined the law school faculty in 2008, will replace Dianne Martin. Martin announced her retirement in April, after a nearly 33-year career at GW.

Bracey served for four years as the senior associate dean for academic affairs in the law school and brings with him expertise on race relations, individual rights and criminal procedure, according to the release.

“GW has an excellent faculty, and I’m very excited to serve in this role so I can work to ensure the continued excellence of the faculty,” Bracey said in the release.

Martin was lauded for providing faculty a valuable connection to the University’s administrators, and Bracey said in the release that he hopes to continue the “philosophy of shared governance” that Martin helped to establish.

“The most important feature is to make sure the voice of the faculty is heard at critical moments in administrative decision making,” Bracey said. “When you position faculty to succeed, you position students to succeed as well.”

Provost Forrest Maltzman said in the release that Bracey’s experience working in teaching, research and administrative roles has prepared him well for this new position.

“This is a crucial role and Chris’s background and experience will enable him to hit the ground running,” Maltzman said.

Blake Morant, the dean of the law school, said he is “thrilled” that Bracey was selected to serve as vice provost.

“Chris is a bright and skilled administrator with a deep commitment to faculty success,” Morant said. “We are fortunate to have him as part of the leadership team.”