Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter closed by national headquarters

This post was written by Hatchet reporters Madelyne Ashworth and Avery Anapol.

Sigma Phi Epsilon’s national organization voted to close its GW chapter last month, according to the Center for Student Engagement’s list of disciplinary sanctions on student organizations for violating GW’s code of conduct.

Christopher Bunker, the former president of GW’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter, said in an email that the chapter has “no comments regarding what happened.”

Staff members at Sigma Phi Epsilon’s national headquarters did not return requests for comment.

The Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter removed multiple members last October after leaders said some members were not upholding the fraternity’s values.

The chapter was placed on disciplinary probation through the end of 2017 because members interfered with University events, were dishonest and had disorderly conduct, according to an entry in the disciplinary sanctions document from July 2015.

The fraternity was also placed on social probation in 2014 and 2015 for hosting unregistered mixers with sororities, according to the sanctions list. Sigma Phi Epsilon lost its on-campus house in 2011.

Two fraternities were shut down on campus between 2014 and 2015, and Delta Gamma’s national organization closed its GW chapter last fall.

Sigma Phi Epsilon is no longer listed on GW’s Interfraternity Council website and has been removed from OrgSync.