Preview: Men’s basketball vs. La Salle

What: Men’s basketball (19-7, 8-5 A-10) vs. La Salle (6-18, 2-11 A-10)
Where: The Smith Center, Washington, D.C., NBCSN (TV)
When: Sunday, Feb. 21 at 12 p.m.

For the Colonials, Homecoming Weekend will close with a chance to get back on the winning track in The Smith Center. GW lost to Saint Joseph’s, 84-66, last time out at home, where the Colonials are 12-2 overall.

La Salle has had an unlikely conference season so far: The Explorers’ only wins in Atlantic 10 play have come against Dayton (11-3) and St. Bonaventure (10-4).

Here’s what to expect from the game:

The Case for the Colonials:
Though La Salle owns wins against teams GW has lost to, the Colonials are clearly the more talented team on paper.

La Salle ranks last in the A-10 in both scoring offense (63.7 points per game), rebounding average (30.2 rebounds per game) scoring margin (-10.3 points per game) and field goal percent defense (opponents have shot 46.5 percent). Statistically, GW has the advantage in all areas.

As they often do, the Colonials will have a height advantage in this game. Aside from 6-foot-10 redshirt sophomore forward Tony Washington, who is a good rebounder and shot-blocker but not an efficient player on offense, La Salle has no starters above 6-foot-6.

GW should be motivated, with a slim-but-there chance to make the NCAA Tournament, and that motivation should extend beyond simply winning the game. A loss would likely be the last straw and a win would need to be by a big margin to get noticed.

The Case for the Explorers:
Though La Salle’s season has been full of low notes, the high ones have been particularly high.

In both A-10 wins against Dayton and St. Bonaventure, La Salle shot the ball much better than its opponents. The Flyers shot just 30 percent at La Salle on Jan. 9 and the Bonnies managed 37 percent while allowing 46.8 percent in the Explorers’ last game, on Feb. 17.

Any team contending with La Salle has to contend with redshirt junior guard Jordan Price, who is averaging 19.0 points per game. The Explorers, however, have had more balanced scoring in A-10 play thanks to better play from sophomore forward Yevgen Sakhniuk, who is averaging 7.2 points per game overall but has been scoring in double figures in conference play.

Redshirt junior guard Clean Roberts also adds 12.6 points per game and sophomore guard Johnnie Shuler 10.2.

The Bottom Line: GW would need a big win here to make any kind of statement, but it’s certainly the Colonials’ game to lose. If they’re on energy-wise Sunday, especially with what should be a hefty crowd, they could run up the score.