Men’s basketball ranked in AP top-25 for first time since 2006

Sophomore Yuta Watanabe celebrates a three-pointer in the Colonials win against Penn State. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
For the first time since 2006, the men’s basketball team is nationally ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll.

The Colonials, with 256 votes, came in at No. 21, the AP announced Monday. GW also garnered the No. 22 spot in the USA Today/Coaches Poll.

GW was ranked by 60 out of 65 voters and was picked as high as No. 15. The Colonials were No. 29 last week but rose in the rankings after a solid win against Seton Hall and a 34-point shellacking of Rutgers, both at home. GW is now 9-1 on the season, with the team’s lone loss coming to No. 23 Cincinnati.

The Colonials were last ranked at the end of the 2005-06 season, when the team was No. 14 in the AP poll and No. 19 in the coaches poll.

GW is still the only team in the country to have beaten No. 8 Virginia, which ticked up two spots from No. 10 last week. GW is the only Atlantic 10 team ranked, though Dayton received 14 votes.

GW is also No. 8 in ESPN’s RPI rankings, a metric that may be more important when it comes to NCAA-Tournament selection. Rankings are mostly important to fans, but getting in the AP poll ensures that GW scores will tick across television screens with those of other top-ranked teams.

The Colonials play their first game with the new ranking Saturday, hosting Saint Peter’s at 1 p.m.