Take advantage of the spring student organization fair

Talia Balakirsky, a sophomore double majoring in journalism and political science, is a Hatchet opinions writer.

If you have yet to find your place at GW, don’t panic – you still have plenty of time.

After taking the fall semester to adjust academically, freshmen, sophomores and transfer students might feel that they are now ready to join student organizations, and it definitely isn’t too late.

In the spring, the University holds a fair similar to the fall student organization fair, providing students a second opportunity to check out a bunch of groups all at once. Most students sign up for a few organizations they’re somewhat interested in in the fall, but the spring organization fair gives those who didn’t find the right one a second chance. So if you haven’t found the right group yet, you should give it a shot next semester.

As a freshman, I remember walking through the fall organization fair with my roommates, feeling overwhelmed by all of the different options. After initially signing up for some that seemed interesting, I narrowed my list down to a few clubs that I felt I would be able to contribute to the most.

For the freshman and others finding themselves overwhelmed by the options during the fall organization fair, or for any students who tried out groups but didn’t love them, stopping by the spring fair is a great place to start. After giving yourself time to adjust to the school, you likely have a better idea of your interests and how you want to leave your mark on GW, having spent a semester on campus.

It’s completely normal to test the waters, too, before committing to an organization. As a freshman, I spent the majority of the year trying out different organizations, and found that I loved some, but didn’t feel the same about others after a few meetings. With so many organizations to choose from, there is no shame in changing your mind about joining a certain group.

The spring organization fair also has many perks that the fall organization fair may not. Because the University publicizes the spring organization fair less and because some students are probably already settled in their organizations, there may be fewer students at the fair, making it easier to find the organizations you are interested in without navigating a sea of people.

The spring organization fair also usually gives students more of an insight into what each organization actually does, since it’s likely that group members will talk about what they have accomplished in the fall semester. The spring organization fair gives students more of a chance to really be selective with what they are choosing to sign up for.

Ultimately, finding your place at college takes time, and it’s OK if you haven’t found yours yet this year. College is the best time to explore different areas and interests.

And even if you’re still unsure if you want to join a new organization during the spring semester, winter break and time away from school may help you make a decision. Either way, stopping by the spring organization fair can help you both expand on your interests and make the year a memorable one – and you may even find friends that will be with you through your entire GW experience.

Want to respond to this piece? Submit a letter to the editor.