Baseball releases spring schedule featuring 25 home games

Head coach Gregg Ritchie speaks to his team during a batting practice this fall. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor

Updated: Wednesday, Dec. 2 at 12:38 p.m.

This post was written by Hatchet senior staff writer Josh Solomon.

If fall didn’t mean baseball, maybe the announcement of a new David Price contact with the Red Sox does. (He was rooting for GW and Joe McDonald recently, by the way.)

If that isn’t enough, how about the release of GW’s spring schedule to signal that baseball is not far away?

On Monday, the Colonials announced their 2016 schedule, which kicks off February 19 in Jacksonville against North Florida.

The team will be coming off one of its most successful seasons in recent years, and will open the season at home February 23 against Delaware State. They will head back to Florida from February 26-28 to play Kent State and Ball State in Winter Haven for the RussMatt Invitational.

GW will also face regional rivals and baseball powerhouses Maryland (March 9) and Virginia (April 6) on the road. They will host 25 games on the season including Yale, Georgetown and VCU, which went to the College World Series Super Regional last year after winning the Atlantic 10 Tournament.

Head coach Gregg Ritchie’s squad will also face Cal State Northridge at the Tuck for a three game series – a year after playing them out in California during a spring break swing to the West coast last year.

This year, the Colonials will not only head to Florida in the beginning of the season but will also travel to South Carolina and Texas for non-conference play during spring break. GW will face Charleston Southern in a three-game series (March 18-20), play a home game against Georgetown (March 22) and then will go to the University of Houston for a three-game series to wrap up the road trip.

The all-important conference schedule starts April 1 at home, against La Salle. The Colonials, in pursuit of an Atlantic 10 championship, will likely return eight starting position players – just in search of a corner outfielder – and a host of veteran pitchers including junior Eddie Muhl, who was one of the nation’s top closers last year.

In conference, GW draws La Salle, George Mason, VCU and Richmond at home and Davidson, Dayton, Fordham and Saint Louis on the road. The A-10 Championship will be hosted by Fordham this year, taking place in the Bronx from May 25-29.

This post has been updated to reflect the following corrections: The Hatchet incorrectly reported the number of home games the baseball team will play at home. It is 25, not 29. The Hatchet also incorrectly reported the name of GW’s head coach. It is Gregg Ritchie, not George Ritchie. We regret these errors.