Three men’s basketball players receive A-10 postseason honors

Members of the men's basketball team and coach Mike Lonergan's family pose with the Diamond Head Classic championship trophy after defeating No. 11 Wichita State 60-54. Nora Princiotti | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Members of the men’s basketball team and coach Mike Lonergan’s family pose with the Diamond Head Classic championship trophy after defeating then-No. 11 Wichita State 60-54 in December. File Photo by Nora Princiotti | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Three men’s basketball players earned Atlantic 10 postseason honors, the league announced Tuesday.

Junior forward Kevin Larsen was named to the All-Conference Third Team, while junior guard Patricio Garino was selected for the All-Defensive Team for the second consecutive season. Senior forward John Kopriva was again named to the All-Academic Team in his final year at GW.

Larsen finished the regular season averaging 11 points and a team-high seven rebounds per game. The 6-foot-9 big man ranked fifth in the A-10 in offensive rebounding, posting an average of 3.1 per game, and also added 1.1 blocks per game, the ninth best in the conference.

Garino’s average of 1.8 steals per game was the third best in the league, and 55 steals this season tied the junior with Danilo Pinnock for fifth all-time at GW with 164 career takeaways. Despite receiving recognition for his defensive achievements, the Mar del Plata, Argentina native also finished as the Colonials’ top scorer, averaging 12.3 points per game in the 2014-15 campaign.

A 3.93 cumulative GPA made Kopriva the fourth GW player to earn multiple All-Academic Team distinctions. The chemistry major’s award also extends the Colonials’ conference-record All-Academic Team total to 16 selections since the award debuted in 1991. GW’s lone fourth-year averaged 6.7 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in the team’s 20-win season.

GW (20-11, 10-8 A-10) begins the postseason Thursday in the second round of the A-10 tournament at 9 p.m. The No. 6 Colonials await the winner of a Wednesday matchup between No. 11 Duquesne and No. 14 Saint Louis.