Men’s basketball sweeps A-10 weekly awards

Fresh off a Diamond Head Classic championship, the Colonials took both Atlantic 10 men’s basketball weekly awards for games played Dec. 22 to 28.

Junior forward Kevin Larsen earned the league’s Player of the Week award, while freshman forward Yuta Watanabe took home the Rookie of the Week title.

The accolades come after the two helped GW win the Diamond Head Classic tournament in Hawaii, going undefeated at the three-game event by beating Ohio, Colorado and then-No. 11 Wichita State in the Colonials’ first in-season tournament win since 2004.

Larsen earned the tournament’s MVP award after averaging 11.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.7 blocks in 34.3 minutes per game in Hawaii. He improved to a 7-0 mark in games played after going 4-0 in the Aloha State at a tournament during high school.

Larsen led GW with 19 points and 15 rebounds in the team’s first game against Ohio on Monday. He added a valuable 10 points – eight of which came in the second half – five rebounds, four assists, two blocks and a steal Thursday as the Colonials upset the Shockers.

Larsen hit a 3-pointer with 2:50 remaining to solidify the win after the Colonials came back from an eight-point deficit late in the second half.

Watanabe was also clutch against Wichita State, tying his career-high with a 10-point performance. He averaged nine points and 4.7 rebounds per game over the course of the tournament as the first Japanese-born Division I men’s basketball player to compete in Hawaii.

The Colonials have not swept the A-10 awards since Nov. 24, 2001, when Chris Monroe was a Co-Player of the Week and T.J. Thompson was the Rookie of the Week.