Headed to the movies this week? Ditch the hype for blockbuster alternatives

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Carly Stern.

With winter blockbusters rolling into theatres and exams out of the way, there’s finally room for quality time with your favorite actors.

But if you’re not in the mood to arrive at the theater an hour early just to snag a seat, here are some alternatives to December’s blockbusters.

Action/Fantasy

Promotional poster for "Exodus."
Promotional poster for “Exodus.”

Blockbuster: “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies”
Opens Dec. 17

The final installment of “The Hobbit” trilogy finds Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) seeking the Arkenstone after reclaiming Erebor. Fans of the franchise will love watching as the fate of Middle Earth comes into question and the races of Men, Elves and Dwarves must chose to work together or suffer fatal consequences.

Alternative: “Exodus: Gods and Kings”
Opens Dec. 12

For those seeking thrills, an epic story and plenty of digital effects but don’t want to annoy friends by asking what’s going on every five minutes, look no further than the retelling of this Biblical story. Christian Bale is no stranger to the genre of action and stars as Moses opposite Joel Edgerton’s Ramses.

Comedy

Blockbuster: “The Interview”
Opening in select theaters Dec. 25

Now that “The Interview” is back in select theaters for its original Dec. 25 release date, the highly anticipated film is sure to draw crowds. In this action comedy, James Franco and Seth Rogen play two journalists recruited by the CIA to assassinate North Korea’s leader. But even fans of the “Pineapple Express” duo might choose to forgo the controversy in favor of a more laid-back film experience.

Alternative: “Horrible Bosses 2”
Opened Nov. 26

Featuring an all-star cast (Jason Batman, Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day and Christoph Waltz) with even more superstars than “The Interview,” this sequel is sure to be a humor-heavy fan favorite. Watch as hilarity ensues when Nick (Bateman), Dale (Day) and Kurt (Sudeikis) go into business for themselves while attempting to kidnap the son of an industry opponent.

Family Friendly

Promotional poster for "Big Eyes."
Promotional poster for “Big Eyes.”

Blockbuster: “Into the Woods”
Opens Dec. 25

This family-friendly musical (read: It won’t be awkward to see with your parents) is centered on a childless baker (James Corden) and his wife (Emily Blunt). After meeting the witch (Meryl Streep) who brought upon their curse of infertility, the couple learns that it can be reversed if they find the ingredients to restore her beauty. Though the film features an an award-winning cast, those not into the musical style might opt for a different film.

Alternative: “Big Eyes”
Opens Dec. 25

Tim Burton’s docudrama is sure to deliver all the fairytale feel of “Into the Woods” without the lip-synching Hollywood actors. It is based on the true story of Walter Keane (Christoph Waltz), a painter notorious for his commercialized work of waifs with big eyes and his wife, Margaret (Amy Adams), the true visionary behind his pieces.

Drama

Blockbuster: “Unbroken”
Opens Dec. 25

After marveling over the fact that Angelina Jolie directed this movie, you can secretly admit to yourself that its premise looks kind of “meh.” “Unbroken” stars Jack O’Connell as Louis “Louie” Zamperini, a former Olympic athlete who enlists in the military and becomes a prisoner of war during World War II.

Alternative: “Foxcatcher”
Opened Nov. 14 

In an unusually dramatic role, Steve Carell plays a wealthy heir who assembles a team of athletes to compete in the 1988 Seoul Olympics. While Angie won’t be a driving force to see this movie, a shirtless Channing Tatum definitely will be.

Promotional poster for "The Good Lie."
Promotional poster for “The Good Lie.”

Blockbuster: “Wild”
Opened Dec. 5

In an attempt to deal with past struggles of abuse and addiction and find inner peace, recent divorcee Cheryl Strayed (Reese Witherspoon) hikes 1,100 miles across the Pacific Crest Trail. Based on Strayed’s best-selling semi-autobiography, the concept itself is fascinating, but the film may be slow for anyone who thinks that the premise of “girl goes on a long walk” is too bland.

Alternative: “The Good Lie”
Opened Oct. 3

Also starring Witherspoon, this time as an aid worker, “The Good Lie” tells the story of “The Lost Boys,” a group of 3,600 refugees who were orphaned in Sudan when northern militia destroyed their village. After they are granted an opportunity to move to the U.S., the boys must learn to find jobs and adjust to Western society.