Jones named A-10 Player of the Week

This post was written by Hatchet staff writers Josh Solomon and Nora Princiotti.

Sophomore Jonquel Jones dominated against conference foes this past week, earning her Atlantic 10 Co-Player of the Week, the league announced Monday.

The 6-foot-4 forward posted 18.5 points, 11.0 rebound and 3.0 blocks per game during this two game stretch against Massachusetts and Rhode Island. On the season, Jones is now averaging 14.2 points and a team-best 10.2 rebounds per game. She leads the A-10 in rebounding in conference games with 10.0 rpg.

Her performance, highlighted by her sixth double-double in ten games against UMass Wednesday, came on the heels of just four points and four rebounds in GW’s loss to La Salle the week before.

Sophomore Jonquel Jones, the team's leading rebounder, fights off a defender earlier this season. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor
Sophomore Jonquel Jones, the team’s leading rebounder, fights off a defender earlier this season. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

With the player of the week honors, Jones joins graduate students Megan Nipe and Danni Jackson as the two other Colonials to receive the recognition this season. It also marks the first time since the 2006-07 season that the Colonials have won the award three times in one season, and the first time since the 2003-04 season that its been done by three different players.

Despite Jones’ stellar performance this week, Jones brought down only five rebounds, one offensive, against Rhode Island. Head coach Jonathan Tsipis did say he told Jones after the game that he wanted to see more rebounds, especially offensive, from her.

The Colonials will go on to face Duquesne and Fordham this week, the third and second best rebounding defenses in the A-10, respectively.