Men’s basketball wins big, improves to 2-0 for first time in four years

This post was written by contributing sports editor Sean Hurd

They’re calling it the “Zeke and Creek” show.

After a 27-point rout of Maine Tuesday night men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan raved about the performance of his guard-forward tandem– senior Isaiah Armwood and transfer guard Maurice Creek.

“It’s a heck of a show,” said Lonergan after watching Creek and Armwood lead the GW offense with 19 and 18 points, respectively. “I think the best has yet to come, they’re just teasing us right now. “

With the 108-81 win, GW starts the season 2-0 for the first time in four years.

For a team that struggled to get things going offensively a season ago – averaging just 66.3 points per game – Tuesday night’s 108-point performance lent GW fans a sigh of relief. Five Colonials, including Armwood and Creek, finished the game in double figures, as well as senior Nemanja Mikic who had 13 and sophomore Kevin Larsen who finished with 13 points and nine rebounds.

Much of that offensive production can be credited to GW’s ability to break down the Black Bears’ defense with multiple offensive weapons. From second chance opportunities in the paint, to aggressive drives to the rim, the Colonials’ offensive had it all going.

Lonergan credits much of that to the team’s increased shooting abilities this year, beginning with the addition of Creek.

“I think we are a much better three-point shooting team thanks to Maurice,” Lonergan said “I think  [Creek’s] really opened things up for Nemanja [Mikic]; I think Nemanja is going to have a really good senior year because there is less pressure on him now if we have another shooter on the other side of the court.”

The Colonials finished the game shooting 11-28 from beyond the arc – the first time GW has made more than 10 threes since it went 10-21 in February 2012. Creek led the way going 5-8 from behind the arc.

For the second game in a row, sophomore Kethan Savage showcased his growth and his ability to attack the rim. Savage scored 18 points in Tuesday’s win with many of those points coming by way of offensive drives and conversions. Through the first two games, he has proven himself as GW’s best creator, able to score consistently off the dribble.

After the game, Armwood described the team as being “very fluid,” thanks in large part to the additional presence of Savage on the floor and his ability to open things up on the offensive side.

“We moved the ball well,” Armwood said. “Twenty-one assists on a lot of our field goals mean a lot. We got a lot of wide open shots and we put the ball on the side, made plays and put points on the board. “

With the offense clicking, Lonergan admits that the defensive intensity and energy may have fallen off a bit, as a Maine team that started shooting 4-17 from the field, ended the first half shooting 48 percent. But overall, Lonergan is proud and excited about the way his team played.

“It was fun to get up and down and run,” Lonergan said “I thought we did a pretty good job of sharing the basketball. We had 21 assists, probably a few more turnovers than I would like, but I thought it was a fun game for players to play.”

GW will head to The Bronx, N.Y. this Saturday where they will play Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference favorite Manhattan at 7 p.m.

The game will be GW’s first formidable opponent of the season and give the “Zeke and Creek” show a chance to prove itself against tougher competition.

“Now, we have two of the oldest guys in college basketball, but they are really good leaders for these young guys,” Lonergan said. “It’s important, it’s really hard to win without experience.“