Men’s soccer gets taste of own medicine, gives up last minute goal

Freshman Angel Valencia breaks away from defenders during a match earlier this season. Valencia scored the lone goal for GW in its 2-1 loss at UMass. Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Photographer
Andrew Goodman

Senior forward Tyler Ranalli handles the ball during a match against Fordham earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo by Dan Kolonay
This post was written by Hatchet reporter Cam Waggener.

The past month has been riddled with long double-overtime games where the men’s soccer team’s resolve was put to its limits. Sunday’s game against UMass looked to be headed in that same direction, until a devastating goal in the 86th minute gave the Minutemen a 2-1 lead and sent the Colonials packing.

It was a taste of its own medicine for a GW team that has scored multiple last minute goals this season, most recently in Friday’s 2-1 win over Rhode Island. Unfortunately, this loss comes with only three conference games left on the schedule and little time left to solidify the team’s current fifth-place conference standing.

“We just got to keep going, it was a tough battle. Any game on the road is very difficult to win,” head coach Craig Jones said.

The game had hardly begun when midfielder Angel Valencia drilled a shot from outside the 18-yard mark past the lunging UMass goaltender. The freshman’s first collegiate goal gave GW an early 1-0 advantage, however, the Colonials could not add to that margin and allowed UMass to maintain control the rest of the half. After failing to convert on their first six scoring opportunities, the Minutemen got a lift from senior Connor DeVivo, who knotted the score in the 42nd minute.

Entering the second half, Jones stressed the importance of playing the GW brand of soccer, where one goal could make a huge difference come the final whistle.

“He told us to come out with a bit of fire, and get back to the basics that we have been successful at, like getting the ball out wide and making the simple passes,” junior goaltender Luke Farrell said.

UMass forward Matt Keys might not have known GW’s overtime history, but after an 86th minute corner kick, he decided to send the Colonials home early. The junior picked a header clear out of mid-air and deposited the ricochet past Farrell to cap the comeback.

The last minute goal came as an example of the constant pressure put on Farrell. UMass outshot GW 6-2 in the second half and if Farrell had not saved 3 previous shots on goal, the game could have been decided far earlier.

“[Luke] made some great saves, and he has been solid in goal so far,” Jones said.

Despite letting in the game-winning goal, Farrell’s three crucial saves in the final 45 minutes proved to be a bright spot for GW and gave the team a fighting chance to send the game into overtime.

While the Minutemen celebrated their second win of the season, the Colonials can only hope to bounce-back in the coming weeks. GW’s next contest will come at home on Nov. 3 against A-10 foe George Mason.

“We are still in the hunt for the A-10 tournament. The next few homes games are must wins, bottom line,” Jones said.