Men’s basketball to host Delaware State

Prepare for a swarm of Hornets at the Smith Center, as the Colonials are set to square off at home against Delaware State on Nov. 19.

The Colonials are 1-0 against the Hornets all-time, with the two team’s first-and-only meeting coming back on New Years Eve 2011. GW cruised to a 77-59 victory thanks to double digit scoring numbers by four Colonials.

Delaware State ended 2012-13 with a 15-18 overall record, making it to the semifinals of the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference Championship. They are led by head coach Greg Jackson, as well as four returning starters, Tahj Tate, Kendall Gray, Casey Walker and Albert Thomas. Tate was the team’s leading scorer, averaging 12.8 points per game, while Gray ranked 20th in the NCAA with 2.6 blocks per game.

“They’re a very good team. [Jackson’s] a very good defensive coach, and I think they were 12th in the nation last year in blocked shots, so that’ll really be a good challenge for out interior game,” head coach Mike Lonergan said in a video release.

The men’s basketball team revealed that they will face off against Radford, Maine and Manhattan. The team also announced its Atlantic 10 match-ups this month, and has announced that it will also take on Maryland, Rutgers, Georgia and Kansas State next year.