A-10 honors for Kalman, Albright put exclamation point on baseball’s big week

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Brennan Murray.

As if their three-game trouncing of Dayton wasn’t enough, the Colonials picked up more good news Monday when the Atlantic 10 awarded them two individual league honors.

The conference named GW’s freshman Eric Kalman A-10 Rookie of the Week, while also honoring senior Justin Albright with his second Player of the Week award.

Senior Justin Albright mans shortstop for the Colonials during a game earlier this season. Albright was named A-10 Player of the Week. Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Hatchet Photographer 

Both Colonials have been on a tear lately. Over GW’s 4-1 week, Albright and Kalman have hit .476 and .550, respectively. Against Dayton on Friday and Saturday, Albright strung together consecutive three-hit games and also finished the series with three stolen bases. He ranks third in the A-10 with 22 steals this season.

The pitcher-second baseman ranks first on his team with a .338 batting average in A-10 games and also outranks his fellow Colonials in hits, doubles, slugging percentage and walks.

Kalman knocked one more hit than Albright this week, his 11 base-knocks just one part of his overall stellar performance at the plate. He slugged .800 during the five-game period, driving in an impressive nine batters on the way.

The award was Kalman’s first A-10 weekly honor.

The Colonials will host VCU this weekend at Barcroft Park in their penultimate A-10 showdown of the season.