Men’s water polo players earn academic honors

Men's Waterpolo, Paul Deasey
Then-sophomore Paul Deasey looks to send the ball down the pool. | Hatchet File Photo

Seven men’s water polo players were named to the 2012 Collegiate Water Polo Association Men’s Varsity Scholar-Athlete Team this past week,  while six players were also placed on the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches Association All-Academic Team.

For the fourth year in a row, senior Cameron Illes received the highest recognition- outstanding status- for accumulating a grade-point average between 3.71 and 4.0.  Junior Adam Streeter and graduate student Milos Purkovic also garnered outstanding status for the third straight year in a row.

Placed under excellent status for a GPA between 3.20 and 3.40 was senior John Paul Bezerra, who boasted the honor for the fourth straight season. Senior Guy Hellman and  Junior Paul Deasey both also received the honor for the third time, while sophomore Matthew Williams earned excellent status for the first time.

As a team, GW put up a combined 3.11 GPA- becoming one of only nine teams in the CWPA and one of 17 teams in the nation to earn above a 3.0.  The CWPA recognized 127 total student-athletes from its member schools this past season.

The ACWPC All-Academic Team honors varsity student-athletes who have a 3.2 cumulative GPA or higher, while having also competed in at least half of their team’s games during the 2012 season.  In total, 239 student-athletes in the country were honored by the ACWPC.