Biden nominates alums to cabinet positions
By Sachini Adikari, Contributing News Editor • May 2, 2024

What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Priyanka Pardasani shares her latest musical obsessions.

John Legend. Photo courtesy of The Artists Organization under the Creative Commons License.

Tonight (Best You Ever Had)
John Legend ft. Ludacris

After releasing his last album, “Evolver,” in 2008, R&B singer John Legend released his newest single, “Tonight,” featuring rapper Ludacris. Legend is known for having a soulful, seductive and soothing voice, and he embodies these three qualities perfectly on the track. Legend’s three studio albums include various songs with political undertones, but some of Legend’s most appreciated work are the more compassionate tracks – and “Tonight” is a song fit for any romantic occasion.

Breathe
Dev

If you know indie-pop musicians like The Cataracs, you probably know Devin Tailes. Better known by her stage name, Dev has been featured as the vocalist on a number of hit songs in recent years, including The Cataracs’ “Top of the World” and Far East Movement’s “Like a G6” in 2010. With her unique and easily recognizable vocals, Dev released her debut album, “The Night the Sun Came Up,” back in September. “Breathe,” one of the album’s 12 tracks, has an upbeat melody that’s great to dance to. One of the better tracks off the album, “Breathe” will remind you why Dev is a star.

Stupid Hoe
Nicki Minaj

I am a huge fan of Nicki Minaj’s originality and versatility. Countless singers and rappers are featuring Nicki Minaj on their tracks because of her ability to adapt to a track’s sound while still making herself stand out. “Stupid Hoe” went viral in the past month and is already accompanied by a music video, directed by Hype Williams. Though the track may lack the lyrical depth we all know Minaj is capable of, the high-energy sound helps to set “Stupid Hoe” apart. With a touch of humor and an equally unconventional music video, Minaj fans are sure to be rapping along in no time.