Writing center adds hours

The University Writing Center will offer summer hours this year for the first time in response to more students expressing interest in receiving guidance during summer sessions.

Student inquiries for appointments last summer sparked a discussion within the University Writing Program about the possibility of summer hours, due to the fact that students take University Writing and Writing in the Disciplines courses over the summer.

“A lot of students taking UW or WID courses over the summer usually need extra help and support with their writing, more so than during the school year,” Emily Bliss, deputy director of the University Writing Center, said. The center offers free tutoring for writing.

Since relocating to Gelman Library last year, the center experienced a nearly 30 percent increase in student reservations, making the decision to extend tutoring services into the summer months fairly unanimous, she said.

Once the center acquired the necessary funding and staff in late March, Bliss said the final decision was simple.

Bliss is currently reviewing which of the center’s 26 undergraduate and five graduate student tutors will be available to work during the University’s two summer sessions.

Graduate student Erin Andrews, who has been a tutor since her undergraduate years at GW, said she looks forward to a slightly different academic environment this summer.

“With fewer classes being taught over the summer, I am hoping that enrolled students will take advantage of the center’s capacity to work with them throughout the writing process,” Andrews said.

Similar to the regular academic year, five faculty members from the UW department will also provide writing support to any student enrolled for a summer course at GW.

The center’s summer hours will begin May 16, the first day of summer courses.