Costigan to run for SA executive vice president

Student Association Senator Ted Costigan  announced he is running for executive vice president’s office Tuesday.

Costigan, who serves on the Senate’s Rules Committee, said his administration would focus on fighting for students, not internal reform.

“We need someone who is not going to acquiesce to the administration,” Costigan, CCAS-U, said.  “We need someone in there to stand up for the students, stand up for what is right.”

Costigan, a first year senator, has joined forces this year with Sen. Charlie Rybak, U-At Large, to push for lowering printing costs. If elected, Costigan said one of his platforms would be to tackle University fees.

“No is an answer, but is that what we’re going to take?” Costigan said. “No, we are going to keep pushing.”

Costigan said he would work to reform the expediency of FixIT – the University’s facilities services – while also building a community on campus through a central dining hall.

Costigan said he wants to move forward on this year’s success and push for greater reform for students in terms of Gelman.

“We cannot just talk a big game, but fight for bigger gains,” Costigan said.

Costigan is a house proctor in Cole Hall on the Mount Vernon Campus. He has hosted a political radio show on WRGW for the past two years, and is an active member in the Catholic Newman Center.

Costigan is the third candidate to announce intentions to run for the SA’s highest offices. Jason Kaplan said in January he would run for president. Monday morning, Amanda Galonek announced her plans to run for EVP.

Candidate registration began yesterday at 12 p.m. Interested students have until Feb. 20 to register to campaign. Elections will be held March 9 and 10.