Lifton calls special Student Association meeting

The Student Association Senate will hold a special meeting Tuesday night to amend SA election rules, which came under fire in the last week when members of the body that oversee the student elections called the rule book contradictory and unenforceable.

Last Wednesday, the Joint Elections Committee – the independent body that oversees SA, Program Board, Class Council and Marvin Center Governing Board elections – filed suit against SA President Jason Lifton for signing the JEC charter, which they argued was contradictory and hampered their ability to enforce election rules.

One day later, Program Board Chair Wesley Callahan circulated an e-mail denouncing the charter, citing several factors including not allowing JEC members to file election violations and a change stipulating all unsolicited electronic campaign material may only be sent by the candidates themselves.

In calling the special Senate meeting, Lifton said the agenda would be limited to discussing the charter, and that an amendments package would be sent out beforehand.

“There is currently a fair amount of disagreement in a handful of the points raised in the charter that the Senate passed last week,” Lifton said. “It is vital that the charter be agreed upon for the election process to continue successfully.”

The Senate first approved the JEC’s charter Dec. 7 and amended it Feb. 3 to effectively strip the JEC of some of its powers.

Student Activities Center Director and JEC adviser Tim Miller addressed the Senate last week instructing them to amend the charter to fit the provisions requested by the JEC, but the senators did not. Miller then sent an e-mail to SA and Program Board leaders Sunday night saying he would force the JEC to delay the election if the charter is not fixed this week.

The Senate will meet in room 301 in the Marvin Center at 9:30 p.m.