GW sports weekend roundup: Feb. 11-13

As spring starts to roll around, it often happens that there is simply too much activity in the world of GW sports for us to fit in our print edition. Here’s a brief look through the past weekend in Colonials athletics.

Women’s Water Polo

The women’s water polo team opened its season with a 1-3 performance at the Princeton Invitational in Princeton, N.J. The Colonials fell in both of their matches Sunday against Princeton and Colorado State, but split their matches Sunday, losing to Pacific in the early game before earning their first victory of the season in the afternoon contest against Villanova.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team won its Atlantic 10 season opener Saturday, topping Temple in Philadelphia 5-2 on the strength of five straight wins in the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth singles positions. The Colonials wound up splitting their matches over the weekend, falling to Columbia on the road Sunday despite winning the doubles point to open the match. GW also fell to Pennsylvania Friday by a score of 4-3.

Men’s and Women’s Squash

Both the men’s and women’s squash teams defeated Hamilton Saturday afternoon to open the Colonials’ final road trip of the season. The men’s team beat Hamilton 7-2 while the women got the victory 6-3 over the Continentals. The men’s squash team also beat Northeastern 9-0 Saturday.

GW couldn’t finish the road trip on a positive note, however, as both squads fell to Brown in Providence, R.I. The women’s team lost 9-0, while the men fell 7-2.

Women’s Tennis

The Colonials had their Atlantic 10 opener against Temple Sunday postponed. No make up date was immediately announced.