Coronel resigns from post as volleyball head coach

After 11 years at the helm, volleyball head coach Jojit Coronel resigned Friday afternoon to accept an assistant coaching position at Texas Tech.

Coronel is the third-winningest coach in the program’s history with 176 victories and a .535 winning percentage. Under Coronel, the Colonials finished with better than 20 wins three times and scored a berth in the 2000 NCAA Tournament after earning GW’s only Atlantic 10 Championship during Coronel’s tenure. Coronel also got his only A-10 coach of the year award in 2000.

“There are no words that can express how much GW means to me and my family,” Coronel said. “We are sad to leave a place we have called home for over 12 years. However, we are excited about the opportunity that is ahead of us at Texas Tech.”

He added, “I’m extremely proud of what we’ve accomplished during the last 12 years. I want to thank all the support staff, coaches and administrators for making everyday at GW so enjoyable. Most importantly, I want to thank all the former and current student-athletes for allowing me to serve them. It’s been a pleasure watching each of them develop into highly successful women of the highest character and integrity. There will always be a place in my heart for GW.”

Coronel will leave Foggy Bottom after a somewhat disappointing season in which GW went 6-1 to open A-10 play before dropping its final eight games to finish in seventh place in the conference, one spot short of qualifying for the conference tournament.