Women’s basketball falls 75-51 in season opener

For the first time in five years, the women’s basketball team opened its season with a loss Saturday, dropping its season-opener 75-51 against Wisconsin-Green Bay in the first game of the Best Buy Classic in Minneapolis.

The Colonials struggled offensively from the opening tip, allowing the Phoenix to go on a 7-0 run to open the game. GW didn’t score its 10th point of the game until midway through the first half, but managed to pull to within three on a pair of free throws from Tiana Myers that made the score 26-23 with 3:36 to go before halftime.

From there, Wisconsin-Green Bay went on a 9-0 run to wrap up the first half up 35-23 on the Colonials. GW couldn’t keep pace in the second half and didn’t reduce the Phoenix’s lead to less than 11 at any point after halftime.

The Colonials shot just 27.8 percent from the floor in their season opener and allowed Wisconsin-Green Bay to shoot 46.8 percent. GW was led by sophomore guard Danni Jackson, who had 13 points and four assists in the loss. Minnesota native Megan Nipe had 12 points and five rebounds.

GW will face Northern Illinois, which lost to tournament host Minnesota Saturday, Sunday afternoon in the tournament’s consolation game. Tip-off in Minneapolis is set for 2 p.m.