GW, Politico launch joint bipartisan polling venture

The University is expected to announce Thursday that it will partner with Politico – the popular news organization that covers Washington politics – to produce the bipartisan Battleground Poll, just in time to conduct surveys before the November midterm elections.

GW began to sponsor the Battleground Poll, which is conducted by two pollsters from both sides of the political aisle, in 2004. With the addition of Politico to the poll’s sponsor list, the poll will now be the Politico-George Washington University Battleground Poll.

“The Battleground Poll has proven to accurately measure the political attitudes of Americans for many, many years,” said Jim VandeHei, executive editor and co-founder of Politico in a press release given to The GW Hatchet. “We are thrilled to work with a bipartisan stable of pollsters – and GW – to regularly take the pulse of voters on the defining issues of politics.”

The results from the joint venture’s first poll will be released Sept. 16, and two additional polls will be released before Election Day Nov. 2.

“This agreement will provide George Washington students and faculty with additional opportunities to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the field,” said University President Steven Knapp in the release.

Three additional Politico-George Washington University Battleground Polls will be released in 2011.