Women’s basketball live blog: Richmond 78, GW 54, final

1:52 p.m. Allums connects on a pair of free throws, but this game has been over for a long time. The game ends, with GW falling 78-54. Make sure to check back in our Monday issue for full coverage of this weekend’s games.

1:48 p.m. Abby Oliver continues to play out of her mind. The Richmond sophomore, who averages 9.1 points per game, just got her 25th, 26th and 27th of the game on a three.

1:45 p.m. Brooke Wilson hits a pair of free throws with 4:44 left and Kay-Kay Allums knocks down a jumper the next time down the floor. Wilson’s free throws were GW’s first points since the 9:21 mark in the game.

1:42 p.m. Richmond is really beginning to pull away from GW now, as Brittani Shells hits a jumper to put the Spiders up 24.

1:40 p.m. Kara Powell puts Richmond up 20 by making one of two free throws. Crystal Goring further extends Richmond’s lead to 23 with two more from the charity stripe.

1:36 p.m. Mostafa gets her fourth personal foul going into an official timeout with just under eight minutes to go in the game, so she’ll take a seat. Mostafa has a game high eight rebounds so far today.

1:33 p.m. Megan Nipe puts up a bad shot as the shot clock expires, but the shot hits the rim and Brooke Wilson puts back the rebound for two. On the other end, Abby Oliver continues her dominance, scoring her 23rd and 24th points on a pair of free throws.

1:31 p.m. The Colonials can’t seem to find an answer for Richmond’s Abby Oliver, who just scored her 22 point of the game.

1:30 p.m. Kay-Kay Allums makes the front end of a one-and-one, and the rebound goes off GW out of bounds to Richmond. The Spider capitalize with a Brittani Shells jumper to put their lead at 17 with 10:21 left.

1:28 p.m. Richmond scores four straight on an Abby Oliver and a pair of Dannelly Ryann free throws to put the Spider lead at 16.

1:23 p.m. Megan Nipe hits a pair of freebies to close the GW deficit to 14 and then hits a jumper from the lane to close it further to 12 ahead of a Richmond timeout with 11:48 left in the game.

1:21 p.m. Mostafa pump fakes her defender and hits a 12-footer from the lane, but the Spiders respond as they have all day, this time with a deep-two from Brittani Shells.

1:17 p.m. Coming out of an official timeout, Shipp drives to the basket and misses a layup before putting back her own rebound. On the other end, Richmond’s Abby Oliver makes a pair of free throws to put the Spiders up 18 with just over 15 minutes left in the game.

1:14 p.m. Richmond’s Kara Powell hits another three to put her team up 19 but Shi-Heria Shipp converts on the and-one back on offense to respond.

1:09 p.m. GW head coach Mike Bozeman is livid with officials asking for a foul and is warned to sit down and be quiet. In actual game action, Shipp makes a pair of free throws separated by some lengthy deliberation from officials. Richmond’s Abby Oliver immediately puts her team back up 17 on a layup.

1:06 p.m. Sara Mostafa sinks the the second of two free-throws and Richmond’s Katie Holzer does the opposite, making the front end of a pair of free throws.

1:02 p.m. The half ends with Richmond up 14 after the Spiders go on an 8-0 run to close the first half. GW shot just over 52 percent from the floor in the first half, but really struggled hanging onto the ball, giving up 16 turnovers that Richmond turned into 15 points. Tiana Myers leads the Colonials in scoring with eight points so far, but the sophomore also has a team-high four turnovers. Brooke Wilson has six points so far for GW to go with her five rebounds, a game high so far. Richmond has been led so far by Abby Oliver, who had 11 points in the first half. The Spiders shot exactly 50 percent from the floor and from beyond the arc in the first half.

The teams have both just come out of their locker rooms to start the second half, and there’s about two minutes left of halftime. Stay with us for the second half to see if GW can mount a comeback and clinch a spot in the Atlantic 10 tournament.

12:46 p.m. Brittani Shells intercepts another GW pass and converts it into a fast break layup. Less than a minute left.

12:43 p.m. Shi-Heria Shipp gets the ball taken from her in the back court by Richmond’s Brittani Shells, who takes it all the way back for a layup to put the Spiders up by 10 again. Bozeman calls a timeout with 1:26 left.

12:40 p.m. Sara Mostafa scores on a turnaround jumper from the paint coming out of the timeout and grabs a rebound back on defense. Tiana Myers makes a pair of free throws on the other end to bring GW to within six.

12:36 p.m. Richmond’s lead is back to 10 as the Spiders’ Rachael Bilney makes a fastbreak layup to put her team up double digits. After a slow start, the scoring has been pretty fast and furious here so far. It’s an official timeout with just under four minutes left.

12:31 p.m. Brooke Wilson hits another jumper but Richmond responds again before an official timeout with just over seven minutes left in the first half. GW has continued to struggle with turnovers so far, giving it up 10 times through 13 minutes of play so far. On the plus side, the Colonials are shooting just over 56 percent from the floor, close to 10 points better than the Spiders.

12:28 p.m. Myers and Sara Mostafa score on a layup and a jumper from the paint on either side of a Richmond three. GW down three with eight and a half left.

12:26 p.m. Tiana Myers shrinks Richmond’s lead to six on a baseline layup and Brooke Wilson brings her team to within four with a put-back layup, forcing Richmond coach Michael Shafer to call timeout with 10 and a half minutes left in the game.

12:21 p.m. Megan Nipe gets GW on the board with a fast break jumper and Shi-Heria Shipp knocks down another jumper on GW’s next possession. Richmond hasn’t taken its foot off the pedal though and is now up 10 on the Colonials.

12:19 p.m. The spiders seem to be waking up a little quicker than GW so far this afternoon. Richmond’s Kara Little knocks down her second three of the game from the top of the key. Little has scored all six of the game’s points so far today.

12:16 p.m. Turnovers have been a problem so far again today for GW. After a 20 turnover game last Tuesday against Saint Louis, GW already has six turnovers today, although they’ve been good on defense, holding the Spiders to just three points so far.

12:13 p.m. Over four minutes into the game and neither team has yet to score. The Colonials may be shaking off a little grogginess from their morning shoot-around earlier today, which was held at 7 a.m. this morning.

Good afternoon everybody, and welcome to our day game edition of the GW Hatchet basketball live blog. Today’s game against Richmond is GW’s first of two games in two days, as the Colonials will be in Philadelphia tomorrow to take on Temple in the regular season finale. GW can clinch a spot in next week’s Atlantic 10 Tournament with a win either today or tomorrow or any two losses from either Fordham, La Salle or Rhode Island.

GW’s starters today are sophomores Tiana Meyers and Kay-Kay Allums as well as freshmen Shi-Heria Shipp and Brooke Wilson all at guard. Sophomore Sara Mostafa starts for the Colonials at center.

The game is already underway, so if you’re in class try not to look at the screen too much and stay with us for today’s GW basketball action.