Metro to simulate explosion

A simulated explosion designed to test D.C. emergency responses will occur Feb. 13 between the Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom Metro stations, causing some minor delays, a spokeswoman said.

The explosion exercise will begin at 8 a.m. and last through noon, said Cathy Asato, a spokesperson for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority. The simulation is one of three planned for February and aims to help safety organizations – like the Metropolitan Police Department, D.C. Fire Department, federal agents, and emergency medical services – practice.

Because the exercise is occurring during scheduled track work at the Rosslyn station, Asato said there will not be significant changes to Metro service at the Foggy Bottom station.

“The only thing you might see are some emergency personnel,” Asato said. “You might see some fire trucks or police vehicles in that area, but the service should not be affected. There may be a few [emergency vehicles around GW], but the majority of the activity is going to be taking place at Rosslyn station.”

The exercises, designed to “help reinforce the region’s strategy for responding to a Metro-related incident,” according to a WMATA news release, will occur less than a year after the deadliest crash in Metro history, which occurred June 22.

The simulation will be funded through a $1.2 million grant urban security initiative, according to the news release.