Director of Human Services Program honored by nonprofit

Web Exclusive

Human services and sociology professor Honey Nashman was honored by Greater D.C. Cares, a non-profit volunteer mobilization organization, last month for her work in public service.

Greater D.C. Cares inaugurated Nashman into the Class of Change, a group of emerging leaders in philanthropy, volunteerism and service in the region in late November. The non-profit organization annually selects 20 individuals from the community to join the Class of Change.

“I think I received the award simply because of my lifelong commitment to make a difference,” Nashman said.

Nashman, the director of the Human Services Program, said her commitment to service led her to establish the Human Services Program at GW several years ago.

“The program works with community development, human rights, and non-profits in D.C.,” Nashman said.

William Fettweis, manager of volunteer outreach and development at Greater D.C. Cares, said Nashman is a “true leader.”

“Anyone who interacts with Dr. Nashman is impressed with her sincerity, her passion for social justice, and her personal investment in the development of her students,” Fettweis said. “She is a true leader in service in this region, making her a very appropriate member of the 2009 Class of Change.”

Aside from her work at GW, Nashman has played roles in the Jewish Foundation for Group Homes, the D.C. Central Kitchen, Bright Beginnings, served two terms as the commissioner for the D.C. Commission on National and Community Service and as the co-principle investigator in the AmeriCorps Learn and Serve program.

“There is no one who puts more heart into their work with students than Professor Nashman,” said former undergraduate student of human services, Jacqueline Hackett. “She never takes the credit she deserves for changing student lives.”

“Nashman was an advisory, professor, mentor, and is now a friend, too.”