ANC recommends townhouse landlord lose business license

Commissioners from the Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2A voted unanimously Wednesday to recommend that the landlord of a 22nd Street townhouse commonly leased to GW students lose his basic business license.

The five commissioners will write a letter to the D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, which oversees businesses and real estate.

The townhouse, located at 1016 22nd St., has long been a source of strife for neighbors, with overbearing trash, noise and parties, residents testified at the monthly meeting. Commissioners also mentioned checking the two-family rental unit to see if it has been filled over its occupancy level.

Michael Akin, GW’s executive director of government, international and community affairs, said while GW students live there and may be responsible for some of the issues, the problem seems to be with the landlord.

“Given the history of problems, we support the Commission’s decision to pass a resolution asking the city to take another look at the proper zoning and licenses for this house,” Akin said in an e-mail.

The townhouse was shut down by the city in 2004, and received a $1,000 sanitation-related ticket from the D.C. Department of Public Works in February, according to a former resident who graduated this year.

The landlord could not be reached for comment.