City Council gives final approval on bag tax

Update, July 7

Mayor Fenty signed the bill into law today, D.C. news outlets have reported. The new tax will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2010.

—-

The D.C. City Council gave final approval earlier this week to a five-cent tax on paper and plastic bags used by consumers at District establishments like grocery and liquor stores.

The council voted unanimously earlier this month to pass the Anacostia River Clean Up and Protection Act of 2009, which aims to reduce pollution in the river. Plastic carryout bags are the largest single source of trash in the Anacostia, according to the bill, and the tax will affect all establishments that use the bags, including grocery stores, drug stores, liquor stores, restaurants and food vendors. The tax can be avoided by bringing your own reusable bags.

Four out of every five cents raised from the tax will go to the Anacostia River Clean Up and Protection Fund, which will be used for projects aimed at cleaning up the river. The remaining cent will go to businesses to help them offest the cost of the tax.

In order for the bill to take effect, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty will have to approve it (or the Council must override his veto), and it must pass through a 30-day Congressional review period. If approved, it would take effect in January.