Soccer’s Andy Stadler earns all-region honors

Junior Andy Stadler was named to the Middle Atlantic Region First Team today by the National Soccer Coaches Association of American (NSCAA) and adidas. The press release follows:

GW Men’s Soccer’s Andy Stadler Named NSCAA First Team All-Region
Stadler is First Colonials’ First-Team Pick Since 1989
WASHINGTON, DC – George Washington men’s soccer junior Andy Stadler (Wauwatosa, WI/Wauwatosa West) was named to the Middle Atlantic Region First Team as announced by the National Soccer Coaches Association of American (NSCAA) and adidas Thursday.
Stadler, who led GW and finished second in the Atlantic 10 with 14 goals and 31 points in 2008, is the first men’s soccer player to receive first team All-Region honors since Mario Lone in 1989. Stadler was also a third team All-Region selection in 2007 after pacing the Colonials with seven goals and 20 points.
Stadler’s 31 points this season were the eight-most in a single season in the GW program’s 44-year history and earned him first team All-Atlantic 10 accolades.
Stadler led the A-10 and finished the regular season tied for fourth in the nation with 0.88 goals per game and seventh with 1.94 points per game in 16 matches played. The two-time A-10 Player of the Week and DC College Cup MVP also tied for the league lead with six game-winning goals.
GW is slated to return 25 players from this year’s 2008 team that finished 8-6-3 overall and above .500 for the second straight season. The Colonials tied for sixth in the A-10 standings with 14 points (4-3-2), but missed out on the conference tournament by a one-point tiebreaker.