Students turn to Craigslist for Inaugural Ball tickets

There are already more than 40 listings on Craigslist for tickets to the sold-out GW Inaugural Ball although the dance is still months away.

Posters looking for tickets said they are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for one of the 4,000 tickets that sold out on Election Day for $85 each.

“Looking for one ticket to the GW Inaugural Ball – really want to go to the Ball,” writes one poster. “Can’t believe how quick they sold out.”

Although a U.S. president has never attended the GW Inaugural Ball, the dance has been a popular opportunity for students, faculty and administrators to celebrate the incoming president.

A search of Craigslist showed several posts which declared, “Will pay any price!” but a few ticket-hunters were more creative in their hunt.

“Two gorgeous senior girls are looking for boys with extra tickets to the GW Inaugural Ball!” read one entry. “We’ll get the drinks.”

University spokeswoman Tracy Schario said on Wednesday that the University has created a waiting list for those still in need of tickets and that GW is looking into increasing the ball’s capacity at the Omni-Shoreham Hotel.

“We’ll know in the next few weeks if it’s possible to expand,” Schario said.

If the University is unable to offer more tickets, however, one entrepreneurial Craigslist poster said he is willing to part with two of his coveted tickets for $1,000 each.