Men’s basketball at St. Bonaventure

Update, 8:48 p.m….The Colonials finally get over the road-win hump with an 80-71 victory. Hollis and Rice each had 17 while junior Noel Wilmore had 16 and classmate Rob Diggs 12. See gwhatchet.com for a full story.

Update, 8:36 p.m….Things continue to look good for the Colonials, as they are up 67-51 with six minutes left. Coach Karl Hobbs got a warning a few minutes ago for something he said to sophomore Johnny Lee. I could not hear Hobbs’ words. The referees have not been pleased with the coach’s behavior during a lot of this game.

Update, 7:50 p.m…GW has built the lead behind its powerful shooting and some pretty good defense. It leads, 40-28, at the half.

Update, 7: 30 p.m….The Colonials have come out shooting, hitting five three-pointers in the first 10 minutes, but the Bonnies can also make their long shots. GW is up 24-22.

Something interesting that I noticed: there is no student band. There is a group of older folks with instruments sitting behind one of the baskets, but they are not enthused at all, unlike GW’s student band, who are often the loudest people in the Smith Center.

Update, 7:10 p.m…The student section just threw brown and white streamers onto the court after the Bonnies hit their first field goal. One of the students at St. Bonaventure told me before the game that this is a tradition at some games and might happen tonight. Play had to be stopped and an announcement was made that if anything else is thrown onto the court, the Bonnies will be assessed a technical.

Update, 7:02 p.m…Sports Information Director just told me that freshman Miles Beatty is inactive for this game because he is serving a one-game suspension after breaking an unspecified team rule. Senior Maureece Rice missed two games earlier in the season for the same reason. Also, Hollis has his right hand taped up because he has a sprained right thumb.

It is a Hollis family affair tonight, as Roy Hollis, Essie’s brother and Damian’s uncle, just did an interesting rendition of the National Anthem.

Update, 6:50 p.m….St. Bonaventure alums Essie Hollis and Earl Belcher are currently having their No. 25 jersies retired in front of an almost-full Reilly Center. Essie is the father of GW sophomore Damian Hollis. He just thanked his son and told the crowd that Damian will be entertaining the crowd tonight, to a chorus of light and half-joking boos.

The Colonials are wearing their buff uniforms tonight, instead of the usual blue road unis.

I’m here in Olean, NY, about an hour and a half south of Buffalo, for the second game of a GW/St. Bonaventure double-header.

The Colonials (6-14, 2-8 Atlantic 10) and the Bonnies (7-16, 1-8 A-10) are the bottom two in the conference. Both are fighting to get one of the 12 spots in the A-10 tournament in March. GW is also still looking for its first road win of the year.

The Reilly Center holds 5,780 people, more than Smith Center, but it feels smaller because of the way it is set up. It is somewhat reminiscent of a high school gym. You can see a photo below. The court is named after Bob Lanier, who is a St. Bonaventure alum and an NBA Hall of Famer.

d30_4814.JPG