Parking it somewhere new

With high-priced cover charges and trendy fashions, the nightlife on K Street makes for a specific breed of college students who put on their Thursday-night-best for an evening of drinking and dancing into the wee hours of the morning.

GW students flock to the lounges that speak to them best, but with the opening of a new competitor, The Park at Fourteenth, some may be buying their tables at a different place.

Earlier last month, DC Partyline, a company that is known to promote parties for GW students, organized a Thursday night at The Park – but their relationship has terminated, Pergrin Pervez, The Park’s high-end clientele manager said.

“They realized . it doesn’t make sense for them,” Pervez said and a source within DC Partyline confirmed.

“It’s not that it’s too old for GW kids,” Pervez said about the crowd at The Park. “If you’re 21 you’ve met one of the entry requirements.”

In addition to age, The Park also expects patrons to secure their entry with a spot on the guest list and the appropriate attire.

“We don’t want you to show up like your going to church, but it’s a classier crowd,” Pervez said about the dress code.

Senior Jackie Phillips said she has spent a night at The Park and the strict fashion requirements were not something that she found appealing.

Phillips, who spent this Thursday night at Lucky Bar in Dupont Circle, remembered her night at The Park with slow (bar tender) service, although she was impressed with the swanky décor of the lounge, which is adorned with dark wood tones and high – backed leather banquettes.

Dirk Van Stockum, The Park’s general manager described his four-story structure as a destination point for a sophisticated night out.

Van Stockum said his club is different from the rest because “you feel at home when you come in here,” but later said that it might not be the ideal party spot for GW students out on the prowl.

Pervez said that many GW students might not have even known about The Park’s exclusive opening in late October.

“What we’re really doing is being selective with the crowd,” Pervez said adding, “we can’t have young 18 – and 19-year-olds running around.”

Freshman Patricia Kemp said she has been to the nearby K Street Lounge, but has not been to The Park.

“I heard it’s tough on ID’s,” Kemp said.

Junior Nicole Bochner said she has heard of The Park, but only through her uncle, a 45-year-old. She said that her uncle attended a night there and described the crowd as “older.”

Alexandra Casellas, a senior at American, has spent the past two Thursday nights at The Park, and said that she does not think the crowd is too mature.

“Last week I saw a lot of people I knew, a lot of people my age,” Casellas said, although she doesn’t expect The Park to take clientele from any of the nearby lounges.

“I think people are faithful to where they like,” she said.

Sophomore Michael Reiter, who is a promoter with BANG! Entertainment, said that he often organizes events at K Street Lounge and like Casellas, does not think The Park will attract any of the K Street Lounge regulars.

“People ask about The Park because it’s like a beautiful brand – new venue,” Reiter said, but added that GW students probably won’t be interested in it because there aren’t any GW promoters.

Pervez said that while there aren’t any GW students organizing events at his lounge, that relationship could change in the future.

“We welcome anyone to come and interview us to see if we’re a good fit.”

Megan Marinos contributed to this report.