Serving the GW Community since 1904

The GW Hatchet


The GW Hatchet

Serving the GW Community since 1904

The GW Hatchet

Sign up for our twice-weekly newsletter!

Wine bar on 2200 Penn opens doors
By Ella Mitchell, Contributing News Editor • June 14, 2024

Men’s soccer: Early goals lead GW over Lancers

For the third time in two games, the GW men’s soccer team scored less than five minutes into the game. But it was the other 85 minutes in the Colonials’ 2-1 victory over Longwood University Wednesday afternoon at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex that may be the most memorable from the game.

The Colonials (5-3) came out with an intensity that led to goals less than a minute apart in the fifth minute. First, sophomore Erick Perez-Segnini, who was wide open inside the goalie box by the left post, headed in a throw-in from sophomore Mike Briscoe. Fifty-two seconds later, sophomore Andy Stadler tapped in a ball from senior Abimbola Pedro.

“It was certainly a tough win,” coach George Lidster said. “If we could continue with early pressure, we’d be a better team.”

Lidster said that Longwood quickly adjusted after the Colonials scored, adding another forward after beginning the game with just one. The Lancers’ lineup change worked, as most of the game was played in GW’s territory.

“We have (intensity) in five minute spells,” senior captain Greg McKay said. “The key is to have it for 90 minutes. If we can do that, we’ll be a very good team.”

Lidster also said that his squad is readjusting after losing sophomore Luke Wildy to a severe knee injury in the Colonials’ 3-2 overtime win against Mount St. Mary’s last Saturday.

“We’re still a work in progress,” Lidster said. “We fought hard and kept shape.”

McKay said that he thought his squad played well the first 20 minutes of the game but then became a little bit erratic.

“We were all over the field,” McKay said. “(After the first two goals), we started to slow down the game a little bit.”

The Lancers (3-4-2) did not score until the 70th minute, when Longwood senior Sean Harney launched a low shot from about 25 yards out that made its way through a crowd and into the goalie box. GW goalkeeper Greg Yahr pounced on top of the ball but was unable to keep it from popping out from beneath him and into the open net.

“He’s got to continue to work on his game,” Lidster said.

Longwood had multiple attempts to equalize the game, and Yahr appeared to luck out in many cases, with shots that seemed destined for the goal somehow going high or wide. The Colonials stayed strong to go to its second straight win and the seventh straight to be decided by one goal.

GW next travels to Coastal Carolina University, in Conway, S.C., and then to Georgetown before beginning Atlantic 10 play Oct. 13 against Richmond.

“We have two tough games coming up,” Lidster said. “They will be a good preparation for the A-10.”

More to Discover
Donate to The GW Hatchet