Sorority honored for donating books

The Pi Beta Phi sorority recently received national recognition for raising the most money for non-profit organization First Book out of 131 active Pi Phi chapters across the country.

The chapter donated more than 2,000 books and raised more than $3,475 through a six-week online book drive that ended March 2, the National Fraternity Day of Service. Nationally, the group donated 50,000 books in honor of the Cat in the Hat’s 50th birthday, said sophomore Alli Mulhearn, vice president of communications for Pi Beta Phi, in a press release.

“With our donation, we have given many brand-new books to children who ordinarily may have not had that opportunity,” said junior Marie Loop, vice president of philanthropy, in a press release.

The D.C. chapter will be recognized at the group’s national convention in Scottsdale, Ariz., which takes place in June.

First Book, a nonprofit organization founded in 1992, works to “give children from low-income families the opportunity to read and own their first new books,” according to the organization’s Web site. The organization gives new books to children involved in “community-based mentoring, tutoring and family literacy programs.”

In addition to the group’s involvement with First Book, Pi Phi’s national philanthropy focuses on improving literacy rates in America. Mulhearn said the fraternity works with Read Across America, Champions are Readers, Links to Literacy, Teach for America and Reading Connections in D.C.

Said Loop: “We feel we have made a strong statement that shows how passionate we are in encouraging literacy as well as our dedication to the larger fraternity.”