UPD ends Townhouse Row theft investigation without suspects

The University Police Department ended its investigation into the 21 reported thefts that occurred in Townhouse Row during winter break this week with no answers to what happened.

UPD attempted to follow all possible leads regarding the thefts, but could not identify the thieves, according to a statement released Tuesday from UPD Chief Dolores Stafford.

Four Greek-letter townhouses, Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Phi Epsilon, had property stolen from individual members’ rooms during winter break. The four townhouses are located on 23rd Street and between F and G streets.

UPD reports stated there were no signs of forced entry into the townhouse units and that GWorld access records and alarm activity examinations did not lead to any findings. Video from security cameras surrounding the townhouses was also reviewed and contractors and housing staff members were interviewed. All of the townhouses require a GWorld card for entry.

While some students hoped to receive compensation for their stolen property, students in University housing are not guaranteed reimbursement from GW.

Sophomore Kristen Konopka, president of Kappa Kappa Gamma, said it is “shocking and scary” who has access to the Townhouse Row units. While a key is needed to enter the unit from the front door, the house can be accessed by facilities, housekeeping and other GW staff members with a GWorld card.

“Not only is it alarming that the University has not satisfied its role in protecting the safety and well-being of all members of GW’s Greek community,” said Delta Gamma President Emily O’Neill said, “but it is disappointing that the women of Delta Gamma were not personally notified that the investigation had been concluded and that women who lost personal belongings would not be reimbursed.”

Presidents from the three sororities and one fraternity said they did not know that the investigation ended on Wednesday night.

UPD said it is taking precautionary measures to ensure a similar incident does not occur in the future.

The University is “considering installing additional physical security features, such as additional video surveillance around Townhouse Row,” according to the UPD statement.