Student arrested for possession with intent to distribute cocaine

A sophomore was arrested in The Schenley last Thursday on charges of possession with intent to distribute cocaine.

The Metropolitan Police Department took Patrick Cedrowski into custody after he was turned over by the University Police Department at 11:30 a.m. on Feb. 8, according to an MPD report. The 20-year-old student was transported to the central cell block after processing in the District 2 station.

“A white powder substance was found in a bag at The (Schenley),” the police report stated. “The substance was tested by GW University Police and found to be cocaine.”

Cedrowski did not answer several phone calls made to his residence hall room or respond to an e-mail from The Hatchet as of press time.

Channing Phillips, spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C., said there is no court date set while his office determines if it will prosecute Cedrowski. He said the case is “no-papered,” meaning that there could be evidentiary problems or that the cocaine might not be directly tied to the suspect.

Phillips added that the prosecutor can give MPD officers a checklist of evidence needed to establish the crime occurred beyond a reasonable doubt. “Often times, when cases are no-papered, they can be revived,” he said in a telephone interview Wednesday evening.

GW Housing Programs staff contacted UPD to conduct an administrative search in Cedrowski’s room at the residence hall at 2121 H St., said UPD Chief Dolores Stafford. She said the cocaine was found in a Ziploc bag along with two grams of marijuana.

Stafford added that the student spent a night in jail before being released.

This is at least the fifth incident this school year in which a GW underclassman has been charged with possession with intent to distribute an illegal drug. GW students facing prosecution for this crime have typically plead out to lower charges and not faced jail time.

Student Judicial Services Director Tara Woolfson said students found guilty of drug charges likely face harsh consequences, such as suspension or expulsion.

-Kaitlyn Jahrling contributed to this report