Kicking the single blues

Let’s face it — many singles feel more rejection than romance on Valentine’s Day. So, it’s a good thing that the holiday inspires its fair share of anti-Valentine events for the romance rejects (or those who reject romance).

“What is Valentine’s Day? Where did it come from? What makes the Patron Saint of Love so special?” sophomore Brittany Lynch asked. “I absolutely detest this holiday.”

Lynch and others argue that people should not need a holiday to express their love because if they are truly in love with one another it should be expressed 365 days a year, not just Feb. 14.

“Valentine’s Day amounts to a day of forced intimacy, a time to ‘showcase’ love by way of ‘buying off’ your significant other,” sophomore Joseph Gallagher said.

“It’s just another excuse for stores to make money at the cost of people gaining more and more weight,” Lynch said. “The whole idea just makes me sick.”

However, instead of sitting in their rooms while their roommates receive flowers and cuddle with their significant others, Lynch and Gallagher can vent their frustration at several D.C. hotspots this week. Several local bars and clubs are holding anti-Valentine’s Day events for those without a significant other.

Black Cat

1811 14th Street N.W.

202-667-7960

The hip D.C. venue the Black Cat is having an event that truly lets people express how they feel about this lovey-dovey holiday. On Feb. 13, the local women’s group Mothertongue is hosting their annual Anti-Valentine’s Day Slam where women can speak freely and poetically about their feelings on the holiday. Tickets are $5 and doors open at 8 p.m. while the show lasts from 9 until midnight.

The event, open to all ages, will be hosted by Katz of the Athens Boys Choir, a spoken word artist who has toured the country. The winner of the slam gets a $200 cash prize and second place gets $50. The proceeds will be donated to Rape Abuse and Incest National Network to help women in the D.C. area.

Degrees Bar & Lounge, Ritz Carlton

3100 South Street N.W.

202-912-4100

If you’re looking for a place where the last thing you’ll find is couples gazing into each other’s eye go to this singles only party at 7 p.m. on Valentine’s Day.

Andrea Rogers, president and CEO of the annual polo charity event The Courage Cup, organized this Wednesday’s event after having an online discussion on LateNightShots, a networking site that explores city nightlife. Once Rogers heard about D.C. people’s desire to have a singles-only party on Valentine’s Day she decided to put it all together.

“It gives singles something to do in order to escape the candy and romance,” Rogers said.

While Rogers is used to spending her time helping the less fortunate, this time she’s hoping to lift the spirits of those without dates on this national holiday.

Smith Point

1338 Wisconsin Ave.

202-333-8368

Wanna dance to cheesy slow songs but not have to worry if your date is falling in love with you? Singles should grab a friend they’re not interested in and head to the Insignificant Other Slow Jams Party at this Georgetown bar on Valentine’s Day. The event starts at 9 p.m. and is hosted by LateNightShots, the social networking site.

Rogers, who is hosting her own party but is a regular on the LateNightShots site, said she’s heard that this is a strict no-couples arena, so beware.

“If two people want in who appear to be too ‘coupley’ they are going to be questioned in order to make sure no couples are attending this event,” she said.

Chi Cha Lounge

1624 U Street N.W.

202-234-8400

Chi Cha Lounge is saying it’s never too late to have a Valentine’s Day date with their singles-only Valentine’s Eve party. On Feb. 13, starting at 8 p.m., singles are encouraged to come to the U Street bar and mingle with other unattached D.C. residents in hopes to find love before the big day hits.

The event includes discounted drinks, dancing and no cover. While this party won’t force someone on you – no speed dating or lock-and-key games – you could just leave with an unexpected date.